Friday, August 19, 2011

Gearing Up!

As my day of departure draws nearer (August 29th) I thought I'd begin this little blog with some news about my upcoming adventure!

 My program, SIT Chile, will be based in Valparaíso/Viña del Mar--two twin cities on the Pacific coast. The (very official sounding) title of the program is Cultural Identity, Social Justice, and Community Development.  So for the first seven weeks of the program, I'll be living in either Valpo or Viña del Mar with a host family and will spend my time in both a seminar surrounding these topics as well as an intensive language class. Right now, I am feeling most excited to see the ocean!



After my seven weeks in Valparaíso, I'll be traveling either south to Temuco or north to Arica for the indigenous homestay program, where I'll be living and learning in the community. I hope to go to Temuco,  to learn about the Mapuche nation and see the beautiful forests and lakes of Southern Chile. 


After the two week indigenous excursion, I'll be headed back to Valparaíso to begin my month long independent research project. I don't yet know what I'll be writing on, but I think I have some time to decide! 

Now--back to packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment